Exporting Australian rice to the world
In the beautiful Riverina region of New South Wales in Australia, Koshihikari rice developed from seeds from Japan is grown by SunRice’s farmers to produce some of the best sushi rice in the world. Translated as "the light of Koshi" in reference to an ancient province in Japan, Koshihikari (pronounced Koshi-hic-kari) is renowned as the best rice for creating fresh, delicious sushi, bowl rice and other Japanese dishes.
SunRice Koshihikari short grain rice retains moisture longer to assist in perfect sushi shaping. The texture and the taste of the rice makes the difference - soft, moist, springy and slightly sweet - for the best eating experience.
It's benefits are:
- Authentic Japanese heritage
- 100% proudly owned, grown and packed exclusively in Australia
- Quality and safety assurance
- Gluten free
- Non GMO
How is koshihikari rice grown?
To show you first-hand how Australian farmers grow Koshihikari and other short grain varieties that are favoured for sushi, please enjoy this ‘paddy to plate’ video series.
The series follows the journey of one of SunRice’s farmers, John Hawkins, as he sows, grows and harvests his crop of Koshihikari rice.
To guarantee the integrity and quality of Australian grown rice, John is an approved SunRice grower. He can only purchase his Koshihikari seed from SunRice’s Pure Seed Program, developed by the company’s research and development farm, Rice Research Australia Pty Ltd (RRAPL). John can only grow his crop in the designated rice growing quarantine area that ensures Australian grown rice is free from exotic pests and diseases and is grown with minimal use of agricultural chemicals.
You will also be taken behind the scenes of SunRice’s mills and packing facilities to see how every step of our ‘paddy to plate’ process is delivered with precision to ensure what you receive is the quality, delicious tasting rice that is highly-sought after by chefs and discerning consumers around the world.See More
Our short grain rice varietals
The best quality sushi rice is identified by a smooth mouthfeel.
- Rice is defined as a short grain if it is less than twice as long as it is wide (no longer than 5.2mm). In addition to their grain sizes, most raw shortgrain rice grains are opaque and not translucent like long grain rice or medium grain rice.
- The best quality sushi rice is identified by smooth, even kernels with each grain having a distinct mouthfeel.
- It has consistent cooking characteristics marked by moist, tender kernels that naturally cling together for a desired sticky texture.It has beautifully flavoured grains that retain texture and form once cooked and do not become mushy.
- It subtly complements other ingredients without overpowering complex flavours. The taste should be natural and fresh, with notes of sweetness complemented by a slight hint of nuttiness.
Sunrice Sushi Rice Range
With Australia’s clean air and water, it’s only natural that SunRice harvests delicious and nutritious sun-ripened rice.
Grown by SunRice farmers in the Riverina region of NSW, with its warm days and cool nights, SunRice’s short grain rice varietals are big on benefits and highly sought-after by chefs and discerning consumers around the world.See More